Saturday, July 21, 2012

Paper Mache Animals



 These were made during our Sculpting summer art workshop and students could make a teddy bear or any animal they choose.  They were made from a bread bag (you know, like the bag a loaf of bread comes in). We stuffed with newspaper and added features with wads of newspaper.  Then we used strips of paper mache over it.  Do not make the same mistake I did when I originally made the sample.  I cut the strips of newspaper instead of tearing them.  This created sharp edges that were difficult to smooth as you see in the example below, the silver bear.  He looks like he was made of duct tape. We painted them with acrylic paint and added embellishments like buttons and ribbon.  Some added a bow around the neck after I took these photos.  I love these and my favorite pictures are of the children's intent faces while they work (I did get permission from parents to post these photos).  Give this one a try...it is a winner!










No comments:

Post a Comment